Thursday, August 20, 2009

Reflection

Long ago I promised one last post. I thought I would write it much sooner, but it's taken me a while to digest my trip and to reflect on it with an objective eye. My overall impressions have changed a bit from when I first returned. Initially, I just felt tired, jet lagged, and there were parts of the trip that did not live up to my expectations. Now, as I think back, those same impressions are still valid, but I have a more complete overall impression. I've been telling everyone that I was so glad that I went, but I mean it more now. I've concluded that I want to go back, but this time with a spouse, other family member, or best friend. For me, something isn't experienced unless it's done with someone you love. I also think I would have spent more money. I was so concerned about not spending money that I actually saved money by going to Europe! I calculated that if I would have been home, I would have spent more money because of food, gas, etc. Most of what I bought was for other people; I kind of forgot to buy things for me!

Some of the things that stand out to me now, 5 weeks later, are seeing the Globe, the Rosetta Stone, the castle and the Roman aqueducts. Before the trip I spoke Spanish to myself all the time. Since I got back I've barely spoken a word! I think I needed a big Spanish break! It did help me realize that it takes 10 times more effort to learn Spanish here than it would be to learn it there. I've also realized that I don't want to go back to Europe unless I can spend at least a few weeks there. I now know that jet lag is a horrible, terrible experience for me and I need a good 4 days to recover to the point where I can get out of bed and stop throwing up! I've realized how much I love American culture, not just because it's better than anyone else's, but because it's mine. I like the feeling of being comfortable with knowing social mores, and I've never before felt like I fit in so much with people here. It took going to a different country to realize I'm more like other Americans than I thought. If I go again, I will be sure to take a better camera. I've gotten a lot of complements on my pictures, which is very kind of everyone, but I don't feel like I came back with tons of amazing shots like I thought I might. My little point and shoot camera just didn't cut it!

Here are some things I miss about Europe:

- Being around so many international speakers...so many ESL students!
- Digestives! (without chocolate, which is realize is not the popular kind) Yum!!
- All the walking (most of the time)
- Being in such an academic environment
- Seeing more and more places where movies were filmed!
- British accents
- Spain's low humidity levels!
- Spain's subway system


Thanks for taking the time to read all these blogs. I wrote them for me and for you. It was an adventure, although, if I do go back someday, I hope to have an entirely different one!

No comments:

Post a Comment